Dogs end up in shelters and rescues for many different reasons, whether they were surrendered by an owner, found as a stray, etc. Rescues also quite literally remove dogs from situations involving abuse or neglect and help them find safe, loving homes. Shelters and rescues are filled with beautiful, amazing dogs that could be a great addition to your family. Here are five reasons why you should consider a rescue dog:
1. You just might help save a life. Choosing a rescue dog can often literally that pet's life, as well as the life of another animal who can then take your pet's place in the shelter. There are many dogs who need great homes, and if you are looking to add a fur baby to your family, consider the many feel good benefits of a rescue dog.
2. Adoption can be more affordable. Rescue dogs often come with minimal fees, as well as with their first set of shots. Many adopted animals are already spayed and neutered as well. If you're set on a specific kind of dog, rescues sometimes have purebred dogs and waitlists where you can request a specific breed. This route will cost much less than purchasing a pet from a breeder or pet store.
3. Skip the house training. Some rescue dogs are already house trained, at least partially! Can you imagine if children also came potty trained? At any rate, it certainly makes life easier.
4. It's a way to fight the puppy mills. A puppy mill is a factory style facility that breeds dogs for profit without regard for their wellness. Dogs from these puppy mills are often very sick and neglected from being kept in such horrible conditions. By choosing a rescue dog, you aren't giving one cent of your hard earned money to these groups.
5. You'll get a more personalized approach to pet ownership. Rescue volunteers often screen the pets in their care and quickly discover if they have a specific temperament or certain aversions. This allows them to best match you with a pet that is a great fit for your family.
Remember that not every dog will be a good fit for every family. Be sure to lean on volunteers and employees to help guide you through the process of choosing the pet that best meets your needs. If you're looking to adopt here in the Austin area, there are some great organizations who can help. Contact Austin Pets Alive or Austin Humane Society, or the Austin Animal Center to name a few! Congratulations on choosing a rescue dog -- you won't regret it.
About the Author:
Jessica is an East Coast girl originally from Boston, MA but recently transplated to Austin, TX. She is a former OB Nurse Educator turned Content Manager and Brand Strategist. She recently founded Every Mama Birth Education, where she creates customized childbirth education courses for busy moms, in the comfort of their own homes. When she’s not busy blogging or being a pregnancy and birth nerd, you can catch her chasing around her three busy kids and rescue fur baby. You can also follow her antics on Instagram.