about norah levine
Norah Levine has been a photographic artist for over 15 years and has recently discovered a love for the art of encaustic painting. Norah works as a portrait photographer in Austin, Texas and is co-founder of the philanthropic Lifelines Project (honoring the bond between the homeless and their pets). She has been a photography instructor at the Santa Fe Photographic Workshops and online at CreativeLive and has shared her pet photography knowledge in her new book, Pet Photography, which focuses on creating authentic pet portraiture.
Two of Norah’s art pieces were featured in HGTV’s 2015 smart home and her fine artwork has sold in retail locations and galleries in the Austin, Texas area. Despite Norah’s recent emergence into the fine art world, her artwork has been privately collected and commissioned throughout the country.
Norah’s work currently incorporates the medium of encaustic (bees wax and resin), oil pigment stick, pigments and embedded photography. Her pieces are comprised of many layers of these materials that are fused together with a torch or heat gun. She thoughtful and intuitively scrapes, incises, etches and paints the colors and textures and layers to create her final product.
Each original photograph has informed and inspired the colors, textures and markings Norah includes in the final piece.
After living in Santa Fe, NM for 10 years, Norah now lives in Austin, Texas with her husband and 5 rescues pets.
Experience & Publications
IMAGES PUBLISHED IN:
- “O” (Oprah Magazine)
- United Airline’s Hemisphere’
- Gold Prospector’s
- Humana HAO
- New Mexico Magazine
- Haute Dog
- Santa Fean Magazine
- Southwest Meetings + Events
- Austin Pet’s Directory
PROJECTS & AFFILIATIONS:
- Española Valley Humane Society, Española, New Mexico: Marketing Campaign
- Austin Humane Society, Austin, Texas: Calendar imagery & marketing photography
- Heart Gallery of Central Texas, Photography of foster children for gallery & online use.
- Heart Gallery of New Mexico, Photography of foster children for gallery & online use.
- Animal Trustees of Austin, multiple marketing campaigns.
- Lifelines Project, Independent ongoing project photographing
the homeless and their pets.
- Getty Images, Contracted as a contributing photographer
- ASMP Member
- PPA Member
Featured Non-Profit Project
Lifelines is a project dedicated to honoring the bond between people and their pets. This multi-media exploration documents the unique lifestyle shared by people without shelter and the animals they rely on for companionship, protection, and in some cases, their emotional and psychological well-being. Learn more at LifeLinesProject.org